Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chicago

I fell in love again
All things go, all things go

We sang a duet, just loud enough for either of us to hear. Your voice, my voice. Rising and falling, for all the world like two breaths, a heartbeat, a mindset in sync. I didn't look at you; I didn't have to. It was all there anyway, in the song and air and things unsaid.

You came to take us
All things go, all things go
To recreate us
All things grow, all things grow

We laughed together, at our own jokes, at each other, at the funny nothing. You smiled at me just because, held my hand because you can, let your touch linger on my back and waist just for the joy and freedom of it. Because we are young. Because you like me, a lot. In your eyes, in your face, in the sly touches and hidden looks. Because it gets a little better each time we're together.

I made a lot of mistakes
In my mind, in my mind

We forgot together. The ones before.
They don't leave, but you can grow around them.

We grew together.

If I was crying
In the van, with my friend
It was for freedom
From myself, and from the land

There isn't always something to say when someone crashes. Then what is left is quiet. What is left is a gentle look and a tight hug, as tight as you can make it, big enough to eat up the sadness and worry and exhaustion and stress and bad feelings. Warm enough to chase away the chill of a clear December evening when the moon lays shrouded in fog. Long enough to make it clear that you'd take on that sorrow if only you could. Close enough to feel your heart on mine.

When there is nothing left to say out loud, we fold together.

And then you can see it--Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment